Creator - Meg-Fay Makes

Creator - Meg-Fay Makes
Meggie-Fay Furminger - Image by Alex Photo and Film

Sunday 19 March 2017

Meg-Fay Makes Winner Best Millinery - 2017 Geelong St Pats Day Cup

Picture from my IPhone 7 plus

Meg-Fay Makes Winner Best Millinery - 2017 Geelong St Pats Day Cup 


 Last Saturday the18th of March, I had the pleasure of entering Fashions on the Field at the 2017 Geelong St Patricks Day CupThis is only the second time I have entered a FOTF competition and I was super stoked when I was announced as the winner of the Millinery award on the day, wearing a Meg-Fay Makes headpiece. 

This was such an amazing surprise for me. I had gone out that morning with the intentions of showing off a really cute and affordable racing look, grabbing some snaps for the blog and then going on and enjoying the rest of the day out with my Mum. This was all achieved successfully, and then to walk away with over $300 in prizes for something that I made myself was just the icing on the cake. So, so happy with what I was able to achieve, and the look that I put together for about $50.

I'll quickly just say a big THANK-YOU to John Jovic (number 1 fan of Doris Jovic who also entered on Saturday) for capturing some amazing photos of the day which I have used throughout this post unless noted otherwise.


So, the hat was actually an old vintage piece my step mum got for me. I wish I had taken a before picture now so that I could have shown you the massive difference between what I finished up with and the original. 

Basically, it had a big ugly square shaped top (bit of a mad hatter vibe) that I completely cut off. I kept the brim and added flowers, pearls and beads from the op-shop and the black flower was off the original piece but I added the feathers and beading to it. 

When I made this hat, I actually intended it to go the other way with the brim covering my face, but in recent racing trends I have seen a lot of halo looks, and my hat inverted gave the same vibe. I was actually a bit worried about wearing it inverted, as its was way more out there than the original look, but after getting a couple of peoples opinions I am so happy I did. I even matched with Alex Hecker (pictured left) the MC who wore a Lisa Alexander Halo.

The outfit itself was a combination of thing I already owned and a couple of things I bought to match. 

The dress was the brand Khoko from Harris Scarf and I got it for under $25 on sale. I had been looking online for a plain cheap dress for weeks and happened to stroll into HS on my lunch break one day and found it on a '30% off already reduced prices' rack. I was so happy because it was exactly what I needed, for a price that I could afford and I'll wear it a million times again. Shopping around is really worth while in these sorts of circumstances.  

Now, I already owned my shoes. Another bargain find at $15 from Miss Guided about 18 months ago. They are black and white block healed shoes with an orange snake skin patch on the back. This was the trickiest part of my outfit. I really didn't want to get new shoes, but didn't know if orange and pink would really work. 

I already had a pink belt and a black and white bag, so I just wanted a few touches of orange to go with the shoes. Orange turned out to be a very hard colour to find this time of year. I shopped around for ages for a necklace but couldn't find anything affordable. I ended up keeping it simple with a pair of orange Lovisa earrings, an orange, black & white Supre pom pom key ring and orange nails. 
Photo taken from my Iphone 7 plus

I really loved the final look, and thought the touches of orange really made it pop. As you can see from the picture of the final, I was up against some really stiff competition. Many of the finalist are regulars on the FOTF stage and their outfits are flawless. 

The community of FOTF women are AMAZING, and really are there because they love fashion and have a passion for FOTF. I loved talking to all of the ladies and gents about their outfits, they even helped me with my final touches like where to hold my gloves and purse with poise and class (Thanks Doris and Em).

My outfit was affordable and on trend, and I was so lucky to be picked as the winner for the Millinery Award. Thanks to the judges and everyone else involved. 

The overall winner is pictured to the left of me (in the blue, red and white) and runner-up Em in the red. Runner-up in the Millinery was Courtney on the end in baby pink boater and white. Congratulations ladies, well deserved and I hope to see you all again soon. 

Be brave and save by wearing something you've made yourself. It paid off for me, and could pay off for you. We already devoured our giant horse chocolate from Moorabool Valley Chocolate and I can't wait to spend my vouchers at Ruby and Leo in Highton and Terindah Estate

So much to come.

Lots of love, Meg

Picture thanks to John Jovic




No comments:

Post a Comment