Creator - Meg-Fay Makes

Creator - Meg-Fay Makes
Meggie-Fay Furminger - Image by Alex Photo and Film

Wednesday 22 February 2017

Geelong Women in Business - Speed Dating for Biz


Geelong Women in Business - Speed Dating for Biz


Once a month the amazing Geelong Women in Business hold a networking event for all the boss ladies in Geelong. These events are dedicated to helping us as entrepreneurs, connect and collaborate with like-minded people from our community. 

Last Thursday I had the pleasure of attending one of these event at The Geelong HotelI have been to a couple of the GW and CanPR workshops now and every single time I come away with a wealth of knowledge. 

Ladies, if you are trying to start any type of business in Geelong, GW are the bees knees for supporting, connecting and inspiring the success of women in our community; and the benefits of these FREE events are incredible. 

Last Thursday was a particularly fun time. The rooftop at The Geelong Hotel was beautifully set up and it felt relaxed, warm and inviting, the massive beaming smile of the GW Director Samantha Krajina greeting everyone.

The night was designed to be a way to mix with others in a bit more of a casual setting and if you are perhaps someone that is a bit shy or anything like me, this makes things a lot easier. 

Now I am a very social and outgoing person, but I also have a tendency to speak before I think and as my boyfriend likes to say, I turn really 'bogan' when I get excited. Not so good when you are trying to be a fancy business women. 


I found GW through Instagram, and l like many others rely on social media to expand our brands. Meeting the faces behind the accounts is so insightful and exciting. 

Hannah from On the Decorative Fringe told us all to bring along something that represented our business. Obviously I brought a crown along. This was for the collaborative photoshoot they had organised and Hannah styled.

It was such a brilliant idea. Free high quality shots for advertising or social media and it was just an easy way for us all to interact with each other and get the conversations started. 

Hearing about all about how others achieve and define success really inspires me and gets my creative juices flowing. Sharing my ideas with other creatives (usually to make sure I'm not completely bonkers) is so beneficial because it helps me grown and expand on my ideas. It helps me build confidence in my brand and makes me feel like I am on the right track in life.  

I wish I had more time to talk to more people on the night, but I know that GW will have another exciting event just around the corner. It's so great that we all have somewhere to connect and engage, without the anxiety that usually comes with things like this.

The thing I love most, the sense that everyone is there to support each other and build positive and meaningful relationships. Everyone that attended was there to celebrate the wins of their peers. Everyone is so successful and knowledgable in their own right, and I know they all just want to see each other achieve their goals and kick butt.

I love this creative community and I love Geelong.

Lots of love, Meg

All photos provided by Geelong Women in Business







No comments:

Post a Comment